Monday 7 May 2012

Muppet, not a man

Boy meets girl. Boy asks girl on date. Yummy Thai dinner. Earth doesn’t move, but meh. I could do that again. It wouldn’t kill me. He was nice. I remind myself, nice is good.
Boy asks girl on second date. Classic movie date. PG13. No brainer. Seriously. 12 year old boys pull this night off with ease. What could possibly go wrong? Well.
Scene: giddily holding hands at the ticket booth all ready to pay the $19.90 for two.
Boy: glances at girl, “you’re gonna get that, RIGHT.” (walks away)
Girl: stunned silence. Followed by shock and awe while paying. Girl looks around. Did anyone else just hear that shit?
Wisely, he did not ask for popcorn.
And the girl's desire to ever let the boy touch her that night vanishes. It’s not that she paid. I’m all for equality and paying my own way. It’s that he didn’t even bother to ask. There was no request. No: “I got dinner last date, do you mind getting this?”; or “my dog ate my wallet, can you get this?” He stated.
That small monetary gesture would have gone a long way to the girl believing she was with a gentleman (and maybe to him getting more than a stiff hug at the end of the night) but I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment